Oh but which one? and what tuning?

• I started off on guitar but fell in love with a baritone ukulele. While looking to buy an electric one I ended up with a locally made tenor guitar which I love. The other day I found Eastwood and was liking what I saw, and then when I realised that Warren Ellis was involved that I had to have one. It will probably be a while before I order though. It's more of a 'want' than a 'need'.

But something I did learn here is the different tunings. The tenor I have didn't come with any specified tuning so I just tuned it DGBE like my baritone uke. It means I can play guitar chords on it. I'm loving it.

What are the pros and cons of different tunings?

• Hey Dale,

The great thing about 4-string instruments is that you can really set them up and play them any way you want. Traditional tenor players, mando players, violinists, among others will feel at home tuned in fifths (CGDA, GDAE), while guitar, uke, and bass players will instantly connect with the instrument tuned in fourths (DGBE, EADG, GCEA).

That's not to say you should stay within your realm of knowledge though. As a guitar player who had no prior knowledge of CGDA-tuned instruments, personally I found a traditionally tuned tenor to be a breath of fresh air; it forced me to experiment outside of my comfort zone. It's a great way to write music, and to learn.

So to answer your question, I wouldn't necessarily say there's a pro or con for a particular tuning. It just depends where you're coming from, and your use case for the instrument.

Here's a great read that may help explain better than I:
    https://eastwoodguitars.com/blogs/news/tenor-guitars-guide-what-you-need-to-know

• Thanks Vince, I did have a read of that but until I'm ready to try something new I'll just stay with what I know. A friend has been trying to get me into open tuning for years...